It is a small evergreen shrub with yellow flowers, it is native to India, Middle East and parts of Africa. It is an important herb in Ayurveda and its roots/leaves have been used to relieve stress, boost energy and improve concentration.
- Reduces Cortisol Levels: Cortisol is known as a stress hormone given that your adrenal glands release it in response to stress, as well as when your blood sugar levels get too low. Ashwagandha supplements may help lower cortisol levels in chronically stressed individuals.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: The stress hormone, Cortisol is released in response to stress or when blood sugar levels dip too low. Ashwagandha is able to reduce cortisol levels.
- Reduces Blood Sugar Levels: Ashwagandha reduces blood sugar levels through its effects on insulin secretion and sensitivity.
- Pregnant women should avoid taking Ashwagandha
- If you take medication regularly, consult your doctor before taking Ashwagandha
- If you suffer from autoimmune diseases do avoid unless advised from your doctor. (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes etc.)
- If you suffer from thyroid disease do be careful as it may increase thyroid hormone levels in some people.